Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Robert Burns



Laid off about this before. Down with the sentimentalisation and trivialisation of one of our greatest radical writers. Down with the once a year Scotsmen who snigger about his drinking and womanising,who

"explode like this once a year.
The rest of the time
these man are sober

rotarians. Unionists. And that apart,
wouldn’t know a poem
if it bit them on the arse."

Hurrah for the bravery of the man himself,risking transportation or death to put forward his views of liberty and equality.

I Murder Hate

I murder hate by flood or field,
Tho' glory's name may screen us;
In wars at home I'll spend my blood-
Life-giving wars of Venus.
The deities that I adore
Are social Peace and Plenty;
I'm better pleas'd to make one more,
Than be the death of twenty.

2 comments:

Titus said...

Radio 4's Afternoon Play today was about Burns Suppers and Scottish Bankers. Possibly a feminist approach, but I missed the denouement as my journey ended before the play did.

stonedholyroller said...

Hey Shug,
Well Said Big Yin!
Ill Drink Tae That!!